ALFA Wheel and tire weights, plus comments

When I had the chance, I weighted wheels and tires. Just data for your
review.

6 X 15 Phone dial from 91 Spider = 23 pounds.
6.5 X 14 Montreal Turbina = 12.8 pounds (Campangolo)
7 X 17 HRE 526 that I put on Montreal = 19 pounds (will fit Spiders)

Phone dial with 195/60 P6 tires (used) = 41.5 pounds
Phone dial with 205/55 ZR 15 P7000 tires (new) = 42 pounds
Montreal Turbina with 205/60 VR 14 P600 (almost new, less than 3,500
miles) = 34 pounds
HRE 526 with Bridgestone Pole Position SO-2 (new) = 42 pounds

195/60 P6 = 18.5 pounds (used)
205/60 VR 15 P6000 Sport Veloce = 23 pounds (new)
205/60 VR 14 P600 = 21 pounds (almost new, less than 3,500 miles)
205/55 ZR 15 P7000 = 19 pounds (new)
205/50 VR 15 P700Z = 20 pounds (new)
215/40 ZR 17 Pole Position SO-2 = 23 pounds (new)

The Montreal wheels were in demand for GTV's and Spider's because of
their low weight and additional 1/2 inch width (many years ago).

Tess says, "[w]hy would anyone WANT 17" wheels on a Spider?"

Because someone would WANT them.

More Tess, "Personally, I think...," the key is "[p]ersonally."

Impersonally, others may think something else.

If one adds enough cash, the unsprung weight changes little.
Profiles do go low and cost more.

Tess says, "Someone please enlighten me?" While I'm not sure that should
end in a question mark, I'll say you cannot afford to loose weight; I
for one will not try to lighten you, it would just make you faster on
track.

Other low profile tire / wheels comments:

Some tire places still have trouble mounting low profile tires.
My HRE wheels (three piece) leaked on and off, even after HRE factory
resealed wheels and mounted the tires.
Easier to damage wheel (potholes and other surface imperfections).
More abrupt breakaway at limit (other factors being the same).
Some people make personal attacks because you put low profile tires on a
"classic" car.
Some people really like the "modernizing" look of low profile wheels and
tires.
Enjoyable to enter endless discussions on the relative advantages and
disadvantages with other ALFA Digesters.
If you get chrome finish you can part next to Lincoln Navigator with 21
inch chrome wheels.

No rants, just keyboarding potential dumb comments. No buttons.

Mike Nakamura
Fall City WA USA
mike_nakamura@domain.elided
91 Spider Veloce