164 Tranny disease?

Having been through a $3000 transmission replacement last year in my 60K mile
1995 164LS, I noted that there were 2 reports of bad 164 transmissions in this
morning's Digest (one Calif car with a bad tranny for sale and a Digester
needing a new 164S transmission and case).

I wonder if they were the result of an exploding gear punching a hole in the
case, due to a casting flaw in the metal as mine was? I've heard of this
happening to one other "LS" car...are there more?

Karl
'95 164LS 66K miles (not likely containing any Soviet-made steel...)