1750 vs. 2 liter

Gentle Alfisti,
Two complete engines are on stands, side-by-side in my shop. I've learned
about flywheel differences, head gasket differences, among other things, but
the most visual contrast between the two motors is the depth of the sumps.
The 2 liter has a much deeper sump, which begs the question: why are the oil
pumps for each engine the same part number? Curiously, the 1750 oil pump
pick-up was making contact with the sump bottom, as there were tell-tale
marks on the sump floor apon disassembly. Thanks, Digest.

Modelle in Somers Point