Re: I can't believe this about sparkplugs!

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:50:22 +0100 Henrik Hasager Johansen <hjohansen@domain.elided> wrote:

> I had more or less the same problem at Grand Auto Supply in San
> Francisco a year or so ago. Asking for a set of NGK BP6ES, the question
> from the otherwise nice partsguy was "What year and make?" As I didn't
> think it was any of his business I just repeated that I wanted NGK
> plugs, and that they were right there on the shelf behind him!!! It took
> forever to be allowed to buy a $3 sparkplug, and I was told that next
> time I had to give them the computer reference code, so they could look
> it up. How about looking a the shelf???

i've been letting the folks at the local napa look stuff up just to see
what they turn up. it's been interesting. they gave me three different plug
choices for the 91 164. no bosch platinums on hand, only bosch copper, so i
went with NGK.

> They did however have them on the shelf (didn't try Champions....)

that was three different choices on the shelf (they probably could have
ordered the bosch platinum from the warehouse, and had them in a couple of
hours.)

this is a little tiny napa in a strip mall in southern rensselaer county,
10 miles from anything that looks like civilization. i've been fairly
impressed with what they've been able to do for aging italian cars.

i still buy most of the stuff i need from our advertisers, though. there
are numerous good reasons for that -- one, they support the digest, and
two, we need to insure that they are still in business 5 or 10 years from
now when napa has decided not to carry this stuff any more. i will shortly
be buying a distributor cap and rotor and a set of plug wires from one of
our advertisers.

richard