Alfa Romeo Taxi

Zak:  Having ridden in it as a co-pilot from New Jersey to Midtown Manhattan
as an employee of Alfa Romeo, Inc, I can tell you that the 60 hp is more like
it!  It had absolutely no speed and a severe shorage of power.  The version we
drove (the only on in existance known to us at the time) was a 1300 diesel as
I recall.  The front wheel drive gearing was poorly cut (loud) and the engine
was overheating in Midtown traffic.  My friend Tony Civitico and I were
relieved to get it into the Medtropolitan Museum of Art on Fifth Avenue where
it sat for an international taxi design "competition" called
"Taxis-Transportations Unsung Heros" entered by Alfa Romeo, S.p.A.  I still
have a poster from the show featuring the Alfa Romeo exclusively.   It was a
truly beautiful design...both inside and out ...another example of the
originality of the Italian design engineers to craft sheetmetal into rolling
art.  Perhaps needless to say, it was the hit of the entire show and captured
the hearts of the New York press and show visitors alike!

Bob Little

Zak wrote:
Subject: Alfa Romeo/Italdesign Taxi

Dear fellow digestives

I have found another Alfa Romeo prototipo for which there seems to be
conflicting information
: the "New York Taxi" by Italdesign. The Alfa Romeo Museum Catalogue
lists it as powered by a 60hp 1280cc (I guess they mean 1287cc) Alfasud
engine, but Italdesign's site lists it as a 2-litre, 150hp engine. Is it
simply that more than one was produced, and that they are then both
correct?

The link to the Italdesign page is:
http://www.italdesign.it/newsite/prototypes/images/nytaxi.jpg