Marvel & octane

I was reading a web page that has content about engine break-in after
rebuild and ran across this quote. It's a marine engine rebuilder so
consider the source.
My intent is not to stir up the digest or to start the octane thread again,
but rather to add a piece of information for the people who regularly use
Mystery Oil, or other additives for that matter, in their Alfa fuel (and I
would think especially high compression units). It seems obvious to me that
the ratio normally quoted as being used is so large that no problem like
this will ever crop up but if anyone has the mindset that "if a little is
good a lot is better", they should be aware of this potential.

"Fuel supplements consisting of light oil, such as Marvel Mystery Oil,
lower the octane rating of the fuel, which can cause piston damage."

Hugh Shawcross
Medicine Hat
'74 Spider