Re: 1991 164 starting problems

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:18:02 -0500 (EST) Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided> wrote:
> now my problems have become more serious, and i'm looking for some
> serious
> suggestions.

i received a number of good suggestions. at some point, i'll collect the
whole thing into a summary for the list.

i've not yet seriously chased after the problem.

it snowed this morning; after i got done clearing the wife's car in
anticipation of a family excursion, i cleared off the 164 and started it
up. it fired right up after sitting all night, in slighly sub freezing
weather. i let it idle for a while, and then shut it off and we went on our
trip.

got home, needed to do the errands i'd not done yesterday. since i wouldn't
need to shut the car off at my stops, i resolved to give the 164 a run --
if it started. it did so, i ran my errands, got home. i needed to make one
more trip, this time the car needed to be shut off when i got there. i
figured that if it started up in the drive way right after a trip, it'd
probably manage to do so a second time, so i took the car back out. it
restarted just fine.

the times i've had trouble starting it have generally been 2-3 hours after
shutting down, now that i think about it. i'll go try to start it at 6pm
and see what happens.

the new plugs have made a difference. the plugs i took out have to be the
worst looking plugs i've ever removed from a car; i'll have to take a
picture and post it on the web site.

richard