2000 GT

Sorry, another Japanese car post.

Anyway, I managed to see a Toyota 2000 GT in the flesh while in California for
the concorso. One of the circa 200 made is sitting at the Blackhawk museum
north of San Jose.

Here's 2 pics of it: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/eng/cp/0005.html

I must say, it incorporates svelte 60's Italian lines with a uniquely Japanese
front-end that I haven't seen anywhere. Pity the underpinnings were live axle
though, and it was slower than my '69 Spider(modified, admittedly).

And speaking of Japanese cars, I'd trade the Spider and cash for a Supra Turbo
in a heartbeat - but nothing else they've ever made (save the 2000GT). If you
want condemnation of uncreative design, look no further than the NSX, or
anything from Mitsu(inc. 3000 GT, especially any Eclipse, ever). But who am I
to argue with the most successful import sportscar by #'s?

Where the Japanese seem to display their creativity is in the aftermarket,
where it's no surprise they dominate the American scene. Yes, most of it is of
the rice rocket genre, but some go-faster bits actually lend these soapboxes
some character.

Best,
Philip