RE: removing water pump

Jeff,
Dunno if anyone answered you yet... I haven't done one in the car but am
rebuilding an engine and took a look at my pictures, and I think you're
right.  Looks like removing the crankshaft pulley is the easiest.  On my 89
it's a 38mm nut, should be the same for yours.  Check with a mirror and see
if you have a lockwasher you have to bend back first.  Lefty loosy, and it's
fine thread.  Once the nut is off the pulley will slide off, it's positioned
with just a key, not a spline.  Make sure the pulley will clear the swaybar,
or at least the 1 inch or so that it slides out is enough to get the water
pump off.  Pulling the stud is probably just as good, but I'd prefer the
crankshaft pulley, less chance of breakage.  Put the car in gear with the
emergency brake on, and if you can fit an impact wrench in that would be
even better.  If not you'll probably need a cheater bar.  Here's where
people talk about "bumping" the nut loose using the starter, but I don't
think I'd do that unless I gave up otherwise.
There's some pics of my engine project at
http://www.kcaroc.org/techses/89rebuild3/thumbs.html that you may want to
look at just to get a different perspective on what you're working on.  They
at least show you the crankshaft key.
Good luck,
Dan in kc, 89 spider