Re: My new Milano

James Cook wrote:

01. Three times now, after just starting the engine, I've heard a low
frequency howl from the transaxle region. The first time I actually thought
it was a jet taking off overhead until I touched the throttle and it
diminished.
Clutch throw-out bearing? Does it only happen when the clutch is depressed?

Is there anything useful but cheap ( or free) that can be done to add
driving pleasure?
For starters I'd recommend that you inspect the heater fan ducting. It's common for leaves to find their way into the ducting... The speed control resistors are also in this ducting and they get red-hot. It's a potentially bad combo. You should be able to inspect/clean this area out by going through the re-circ flap in the passenger footwell.

Also check for mud/debris collecting in the rocker panels where they meet the front wheel wells. You don't want to do all the rust repairs I had to.

Next up is replacing bushings... The castor arm pads are almost surely shot, and replacing them will provide immediate improvement. Start there and work your way around the car. The best money I spent was replacing those rubber bits...

As for tires on a budget, I like Kumho Ecsta 712s in 205/50 R15 for summer performance driving. I have no specific recommendations for all-seasons or winter tires.

--Mark