Commpression (sic) checks

In a message dated 11/12/2002 6:39:00 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:35:21 -0500
> From: Ferdinando Di Matteo <aroctech@domain.elided>
> Subject: Commpression checks
>
> Here is one to kick around, if I get a high reading at sea level, then
> drive up to  a 14,000 foot mountain top.  would I get a higher or lower
> reading then?   Fred

       I vote for less.  At 14,000 feet the air is thin and there is less to
compress, therefore, less compression on the gauge.
       On the other hand, the compression gauge will be higher, due to being
on a mountain top, therefore, the reading will be higher, even if the gauge
needle sweeps less of the scale.
      If a man says something on a mountain top and there is no woman around
to hear him, is he still wrong?

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City