re: Compression checks

This may be over-simplifying the issue a bit....

Idea gas law says that PV=nRT....so if the right-hand side
of the equation remains the same throughout the test (which it should...),
then P and V will change at the same ratio, no matter what the starting P is.
Since a compression gauge measures relative compression,
the reading should be the same regardless of altitude.  But the 'real' pressure
in the cylinder head would be lower at high altitude--hence altitude adjustors that lean
the fuel mix at high altitude.

Of course this assumes you have no leakage of the volume chamber--a perfectly
sealed cylinder head and piston rings in other words....(could we all be so lucky?).  In real life,
most cylinder heads bleed a little air/fuel under the compression stroke, and the
lower absolute pressure at high altitude would force less air past the seals, so under
real circumstances, the relative compression would be higher....but I doubt a
compression gauge would accurately measure this.