From: "Jim Cheney" <jimcheney@domain.elided>
To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Subject: Anyone want to help a wannabe? Looking at some ALFA's in the SouthEast
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:10:06 -0500

Hello everyone, first off, i'm new to the list, having just joined up last
week. I've read through the first 10 or so digests I've received with
interest, and this seems like a great group - and very active. Is that enough
flattery for now?

I've owned a number of old cars, but I'm looking at becoming a first time ALFA
owner. I really got turned on to the 70-76ish GTV's while I was living in
Germany. I'm looking at a particular 71 GTV being offered in the Atlanta
area. It looks like to be in top-shelf condition, but having been prepared
for vintage racing.

My question to the group is two-fold:
a) would Alfisti like yourselves shy away from a car in completely solid, rust
free, detailed condition because it had some un-original features, like a
roll-cage, fuel cell, non-stock door panels, etc.? I'm not necessarily put
off, but I'm also not sure whats made of unobtainium on these cars, and I'd
hate to be missing some pieces that were next to impossible to replace.

b) is there anyone in the Atlanta area who would be willing to either look at
the car, or accompany me to look at it? I'm in Columbia SC, so I have to make
a special trip out to see it, and I might miss features obvious to the trained
eye. I would be glad to pay someone a fair inspection fee for a quality
once-over.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for being so long-winded on my initial post.

Jim