Re: Anyone want to help a wannabe? Looking at some ALFA's in the SouthEast

Jim Cheney writes:

> Hello everyone, first off, i'm new to the list, having just joined up last
> week.  I've read through the first 10 or so digests I've received with
> interest, and this seems like a great group - and very active.  Is that
enough
> flattery for now?

Yes, but be sure to include some flattery in all subsequent posts -- it's so
gratifying!

> I've owned a number of old cars, but I'm looking at becoming a first time
ALFA
> owner.  I really got turned on to the 70-76ish GTV's while I was living in
> Germany.  I'm looking at a particular 71 GTV being offered in the Atlanta
> area.  It looks like to be in top-shelf condition, but having been
prepared
> for vintage racing.
>
> My question to the group is two-fold:
> a) would Alfisti like yourselves shy away from a car in completely solid,
rust
> free, detailed condition because it had some un-original features, like a
> roll-cage, fuel cell, non-stock door panels, etc.?  I'm not necessarily
put
> off, but I'm also not sure whats made of unobtainium on these cars, and
I'd
> hate to be missing some pieces that were next to impossible to replace.

"Alfisti like yourselves" is a mighty broad swath of humanity, with the
expected variation in opinion.  Alfisti like myself would no more be
bothered by the lack of originality incurred in prepping for the occasional
vintage race than by the grammatic error of the phrase "Alfisti like
myself".  Door panels are widely available, original fuel tanks rust and
cause headaches, "rollbar" is just another way to say "chassis stiffener",
and for a truly rust free shell I might well be willing to overlook the
exception of everything save the sheet metal.

What's important is what an Alfisti like you wants.  This may be your first,
but you know, ALFA is short for "Always Looking For Another"!

> b) is there anyone in the Atlanta area who would be willing to either look
at
> the car, or accompany me to look at it?

Can't help you on that one, I've rarely visited Atlanta since my birth there
 some years ago.

Cheers,
Tony