1977 2L Engine Rebuild

All,

I'm looking for real world, BTDT, experiences rebuilding mid-70's 2L engines.
I'm taking my Alfetta engine to the shop later this week for a freshening of
the bottom end (the head is already done) and the shop has asked for the real
world experience dealing with oil clearances.

We have the official Alfa factory specs, of course, but what's being asked
for is any experiences people have of "this has actually worked better than
the factory specs for me" for the oil clearances on mains and rods and the
like. People who have experience building racing engines, for example, might
have learned a thing or two over the years about optimal clearances that
they'd like to share.

We're leaving the engine largely stock - there's a mild cam upgrade and the
head has been flowed - but we're planning to leave the CR and other
significant items in stock spec form. Just enough of a boost to help this
poor Alfetta get out of its own way.

We plan to have the crank plugs removed and tapped and the oil journals
completely cleaned while the plugs are out.

Any clearance experiences anyone would like to pass along? Either off or on
line responses would be appreciated.

TIA

Tom
tjcallahan@domain.elided