Re: Winter storage

Dean W. Cains wrote:

Hi Doug:

I've seen stuff somewhere, maybe Wal-Mart, called something like Damp
Rid.  It comes in a plastic tub, and is intended for damp closets.
Don't know what it costs or if it's renewable like silica gel (which one
can bake in an oven to dry).  It may even just be a tub of silica gel.

Damp-rid is merely CaCl2. As it absorbs water it will liquify. You can de-hyrdrate it by baking it, although you'll need to pulverize the resulting lump to resuse it effectively. Either way it's really cheap. I think it's also used as an ice-melter, which may be a cheaper way to buy it. It will absorb about 2x it's weight in water, which is probably good for a sealed space. I think a dehumidifier would be better suited to a large drafty space like a garage.

--Mark