Welcome flat-tailed newbie...

>From: Howard gentry <zymmer4@domain.elided>
>Subject: newbie
>
>greetings,
>     I am Howard.

Welcome Howard!

> I live in rural Wv.(Newton), and
>will be asking and donating info etc. to this group.
>My long time affilation with the MG and Morris

And some of us promise NOT to hold that against you.

> lists
>have proven to me the value of these lists. I have my
>second Alfa now..to the tune of a 1977 flat tail

generally referred to as a Kamm tail spider

>Spider. My inspection of the cylinder head suggests
>that it is a 1750 cc model(engine at least).

Pretty unlikely as the 1750 was phased out in 1971. You'll likely get lots of responses on this.

>     This car is a rust free Ca. unit, silver in
>color. The only major fault with it, early on in the
>valuation, is a ruined driveshaft carrier bering. The
>rubber has detached from the steel mount.
>     My first question to the group is..What is the
>typical road clearance at the engine protection bars.
>Mine has less than 4 inches..

Sounds about right. I used to have sump guards (an aftermarket piece, btw) on both my GTV6 and Duetto (OK, its actually a 1750 Spider Veloce...roundtail) but I've come around to the prevailing AD belief that you hit more stuff with the thing on there than w/o them. Both my cars are lowered and with the guards on I was constantly banging things.

>Is my ride height too
>low/(have my torsion bars gone out of adjustment?

Alfetta chassis have torsion bars, yours has standard coil springs.

--
Michael Williams
Sacramento, CA, USA

69 Duetto