Re: High Oil Pressure

G'day y'all

Thanx for all the suggestions and advice on this
problem.

The blowing of the oil filter seal has happenned three
times in the past year, and it typically happens
within a week or so of an oil change, and usually
after the engine's had a chance to go througha  few
warm-up/cool-down cycles.

Don't know if the high oild pressure reading is a new
problem; I only noticed it for the first time on
Sunday afternoon.

It doesn't happen all the time though, and when it's
not happening, I do seem to be able to see a flicker
of the gauge at just over 60 psi. It seems as if it
hits this point, and then the relief valve cuts in.

Or not.

When the problem is there, the pressure doesn't seem
to drop much, even when the engine warms up. Normally,
I'd expect to see the pressure drop to around 30psi at
idle once the engine has warmed up to a reasonable
operating temperature.

To answer a couple of questions, I only occasionally
run the engine much beyond 4K; now that I've observed
this problem, I'll be keeping an even closer eye on
this aspect of her running.

The oil changes aren't being done by any of those
quick change places; thankfully there's not too many
of them in Oz.

My mechanic is in fact a pretty good factory trained
Alfa guy, and knows the cars pretty well. This issue
of blowing the oil filter gasket has us stumped
though.

The stuck pressure relief valve is where my thought
have been too, but his feeling is that the oils seals
will blow far more quickly than the filter gasket.

g.
Gary Stark
gstark@domain.elided
http://redbacksWeb.com