Re: tachymeter

Michael Williams said:
> At 4:37 PM +0000 10/27/02, Joe garcia wrote:
>>Topless Spider Marc fixes his glasses
>>and flosses the first batch of bugs off his teeth, I
>>teach him how to work the tachymeter function of his
>>chronometer, since when we were cruising at ~80mph
>>Marc's speedometer was reading over 100.
>
> GREAT Story Joe,
>
> Can you teach us how to use the tachymeter function? I have an Alfa
> Romeo chrono with Tachymeter and have no idea what to do with it! --

I've seen two kinds, one I've used personally, the other I'm guessing.

The tachymeter works by counting seconds between a mile, and where the
hand points at the end of the mile is the miles per hour.

On mine, it works like a stop watch. Push a button to start, then push it
again to stop. I have a "guage" around the outer bezel with numbers. At
the first marker, press the button to start the hand. At the second
marker, the end of the mile, press the button to stop the hand. Where
pointer is, that's your speed.

On other watches, the "guage" can be moved. I believe on those, the watch
has a second hand and no stop watch type functionality. With those, you
turn the guage to where the second hand was pointing when the first marker
was passed. You wait until you get to the second marker and see where the
second hand is pointing, that's your speed. This one I'm guessing because
I've not used one of these myself, but it just seems like that's how it
would work, and why the tachymeter dial would be movable.