Dist curves

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:10:08 -0500
From: "Bill Sinclair" <bills@domain.elided>
Subject: distributor curves

Biba wrote:

>The consensus is to adjust the distributor so that max advance 'peaks'
>on M and not worry about the static timing.

When I put a "RicambiPlex" distributor (AR Ricambi's electronic ignition
built
into a late model Bosch distributor) in my 1600 Duetto, the advance was
pretty
anemic if I set the timing using the static method.  If I set it  as
described
above, however, it was somewhat hard to start.  I had to find a
compromise
point about midway.  Based on some of the comments in this thread, it
seems
that I need to find out what is physically limiting the travel of the
advance
weights and try to give them a little more room to travel.  Am I
inviting
disaster here or is this something that could be accomplished without
sophisticated equipment?  It runs pretty good right now but I feel like
I'm
being cheated out of some of my top end power.  TIA.

Not too big a deal...... the Kartamalakis book goes into some detail
about modifying the distributor most importantly, shows how to attach a
protrator to get an accurate measurement of the advance curve.

pull the center of the dist out and there sometimes are ovals cut out
which you can simply select the other opening to alter the number of
degrees of advance. might even have numbers stamped saying 17 or 19 and
of course you can increase that further by simply opening up the hole a
little bit..

er something

--
Norm Riffle