Re: alfa-digest V8 #1242

I have to pretty much agree with Robb Murphy's readings, however in my 84
Spider the "idiot" light in the  tachometer is pretty much faintly dimly lit
all the time, and becomes brighter as rpms increase, or it will get brighter
as accessories (lights, a/c, heater fan, ec.) are turned on.
Have never been able to solve this problem, and I have had other people with
Spiders tell me of the same "idiot light" problem.
Bigger problem is,  I think,  Fred DiMatteo says online alt. should be
charging batt. with 14.2 or 14.4 volts!
Do I need new alternator, or just new voltage regulator, or just replace the
diode in the wire coming out of alternator to the  idiot light?
-Clay Leopold
 84 Spider,  Princeton, NJ