Re: 164 accessory belt idler

----- Original Message -----
From: <Jay_Reddy@domain.elided>
To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 1:13 PM
Subject: 164 accessory belt idler

> Hello All,
> In the 164 FAQ, Ric Salinas lists Fiat part# 4443446 as a more robust
> replacement for the 164 accessory idler.  Not that I have any complaints
> about the original; it has lasted 163K miles on my car.  Does anyone know
of
> a source for this part in the USA?
> Regards,
>
> Jay Reddy
> '91 164S
> '64 Giulia Veloce
> --
Jay,

I have one unused that I bought from Bruce's Parts Bin.  The problem is that
you cannot use the bearing race bushing from the old Alfa part in the Fiat
part.   In the old digest archive, someones mentions that a Ferrari dealer
used it as a replacement on their 164.  They don't tell you what has to be
done to make it work.  The external dimensions are OK.  I tried a few local
bearing houses with no success to find a inner bushing that would work.
Turns out that the idler pulley was never the problem on my 91 164S.  It was
my compressor clutch assembly was going bad and making noise like a small
jet engine.  If you have the loud screeching sound this is usually due to
the belt not being tight enough.

If you still want the part, Its yours for $25  - I paid about $32.

Don