Re: GTV6 Rear Brakes

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:45:18 +0000
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest) (actually John
<jbrase@domain.elided>) wrote:

> It seems the outboard adjuster (the one under the plastic cap) has no
> effect whatsoever on the piston clearance.  Thus, no matter how much I
> turned it (and I turned it a bunch) or which direction I turned it I
> could not get the piston to recede into the caliper even a little bit.
> I think I was doing it right but it has been so long time since I did
> this - well, it was on an Alfetta.  I loosened the 17mm nut and turned
> the allen (hex) screw.  Is that correct?  BTW, the handbrake cable is
> completely disconnected.

Me too.  I wound up pulling the calipers off so I could take a closer
look.  It seemed to me that if the lock nut turned while I turned the
allen screw then the piston didn't move.  If I held the lock nut while
turning the allen screw then it worked as expected.  The lock nut is
unfortunately shrouded so you can't just hold it with a flat wrench.  I
tried a 17mm socket without a handle, sticking the allen wrench through
the drive hole, but my sockets are so smooth on the outside they just
slip in my greasy fingers.  If you grind some flat spots on the outside
of an old socket you could probably grip it well enough.

But don't take my word for it, my calipers are still lying on the bench.

--
Ted Spradley
'78 Alfetta Sport Sedan (still up on jack stands)