RE: drilled rotors

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Zamani Zambri wrote:
> I haven't tried drilled rotors because of the price and the fact that
> they may crack. And the Milano rotor size is small for the speed and
> size of the car anyway.

Cast iron rotors, when drilled, can crack.  However, there have been
some relatively recent developments in materials science that should help
this problem.  An English company introduced a line of motorcycle rotors
in a new ductile cast iron, which is also seeing use it engine blocks.
They showed a photo of one of these rotors bent nearly in half, which
would be impossible without breaking a normally brittle cast iron rotor.

I haven't yet seen an auto application, but I'd expect to before long.

james montebello