Alfetta speedo cables

I just came up with a way to fix the speedo cable on my Alfetta coupe,
which I thought I'd pass along, since these cables are now NLA, and prone
to break.  The problem is the end that snaps onto the speedo itself,
which is a far too brittle plastic.  Mine was broken here, and it had been
"fixed" by using electrical tape to hold it all together, more or less.
Recently, it was less.

A more permanent fix was to use tape to bulk up the cable housing until
the OD was about 14mm.  Then, using a piece of common 5/8" (aka 15mm)
heater hose about 50mm long, I hose clamped it to the taped cable housing
so that the tip of the cable was "inside" the hose, about 15-20mm deep.
The other end of the hose will now simply slip onto the speedo, catching
on the barb like bit well enough to hold the cable in place.  It can still
be removed easily, and doesn't permanently mar anything.  The only tricky
bit is making sure the screw part of the hose clamp hangs below the cable,
or you won't have enough clearance to re-install the instrument cluster.

james montebello