Re: Repair of cracked 115 clutch bellhousing?

Several years ago, we had a cracked bell housing at the starter area on our 71
GTV. . Actually the bell housing where the starter mounts snapped off and left
the starter hanging. The starter was the larger one and  it's been long enough
now, that I don't remember the exact ratings. I think there was a 0.8  and a
1.2. The number of teeth  on the flywheel was different for each one. So we
counted the teeth and checked manuals, made calls and double checked thru three
replacement bell housings, until we finally found the reason that the bell
housing cracked. It was vibration caused by the output shaft of the
transmission. It is a ball and socket type design and our ball was egg shaped.
With a new transmission shaft and bronze bushing that it mates to, along with
the new replacement bell housing, it is now vibration free. Matter of fact it
is the smoothest of all of our cars. Check your spider when driving on the
highway by simply placing your finger on the gear shift. It should have minimal
vibration. If you  can feel vibration, that is likely the reason your bell
housing is cracked. Finding our problem was a long expensive and frustrating
experience. Good luck with your problem.
Fred Zimmermann
67 Duetto
69 Berlina
71 GTV