Re: Repair of cracked 115 clutch bellhousing?

Kevin writes:

>After removal of the starter from my '73 spider for servicing I found that
>the clutch bellhousing was cracked where the starter bolts up...

>Suggestions??

You might want to drill relief holes at the end of the crack before you weld
it.  Might help keep the bellhousing from distorting from the heat.  Mine was
cracked in a different place (around one of the top mount bolts) when I
removed it from the car last year.  I had it welded by a well-regarded local
machine shop, and it cracked again as soon as I bolted it back together...  I
drilled a couple small relief holes and it hasn't grown a millimeter.  Now I'm
going to replace the bell housing, just gotta scrounge up another.

Be sure you have the correct shoulder bolt for your started when you replace
it.  Lack of this bolt is one of the reasons cited for the crack you have
found.

Cheers,
Tony