Repair of cracked 115 clutch bellhousing?

After removal of the starter from my '73 spider for servicing I found that the clutch bellhousing was cracked where the starter bolts up. At this point it is a crack that starts between the bottom and middle bolt holes then extends up around the middle mount hole and ends just short of the top mount hole, about 3 inches in length.

I'm thinking of using my MIG welder to put a few plug welds on the crack to prevent it from breaking completely. I don't have the time or inclination to remove the transmission at this time, and want to do the repair in the car, believing that I have room to access the crack with the weld gun, and the exterior bellhouse surface is not greasy. I would be able to clean it further with a solvent.

The procedure I would use is:

Use ER5356 (versus ER4043) .035 aluminum wire with Argon gas; try to preheat the area with a propane torch; give it a final clean with a stainless steel brush, and then hit it with a series of plug welds.

Questions: Anyone done this?? Should I start the weld plugs at the end of the crack (where it stops) or the beginning (edge of the bellhousing)? Suggestions??

Thanks! //KCT, Powell, TN