Re: renting cars in Italy

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 Pottree@domain.elided wrote:
> In a message dated 10/18/2002 1:01:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
> For reasons too humorous to mention, renting a car in Italy is still more
> expensive than in France, or possibly any other W. European country.  Whether
> this is a tax issue, has to do with the perceived risk on Italian roads, or
> what, I don't know.  But, there is an Italian premium and you have to pay
> extra if you are going to take a car rented elsewhere into Italy, as we did
> last year.

Of course, there's always the wonderful attitude of Spaniards (or, at
least, Catalunyans).  When I rented a Clio in Barcelona a few years ago,
my intent was to drive it to Milan, via Monaco.  When I mentioned this
to the agent, he clucked, shook his head, and decided the firm didn't
need to know that. :-)

james montebello