renting cars in Italy

In a message dated 10/18/2002 1:01:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> As recently as 1998 (pre-Euro), prices also varied wildly from one EU
> country to another.  Renting a car in Spain, for example, cost half
> as much as renting exactly the same car in Italy, and about 50% less
> than renting it in France.

For reasons too humorous to mention, renting a car in Italy is still more
expensive than in France, or possibly any other W. European country.  Whether
this is a tax issue, has to do with the perceived risk on Italian roads, or
what, I don't know.  But, there is an Italian premium and you have to pay
extra if you are going to take a car rented elsewhere into Italy, as we did
last year.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA