tranny issues

Esteemed Digesti,
The output shaft on the spider's transmission is worn out-of-round. I'd like
to replace the mainshaft of this tranny with one in better condition from an
earlier car, specifically a 1750, which has the longer selector rods. Does
anyone know if the internals are equivalent?  I thinking of keeping the later
case with it's selectors, but changing the mainshaft only. Thanks.
Modelle in Somers Point