importing 74 Spider into CA

In a message dated 10/16/2002 3:42:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I'm thinking of trying to import my 1974 Alfa to California from Europe. I
> know of the various exemptions at the federal/EPA/DOT level for cars more
> than 25 years old etc, and I believe the US Customs will therefore let the
> car through the port gates after I've posted a bond for 3 x the value. No
> doubt I will have to get the car through smog. But what I'm looking for is
> somebody who has actually been through the entire process and registered
> the car (hopefully in California) and had this bond released. The criteria
> for releasing it are only described very vaguely on the various websites. I
> need to pick the brains of someone who's been there and done that.  Or
> alternatively, someone who knows that it's impossible.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you start now, by the time a
74 reaches CA it will be old enough to be exempt from smog.  What the
situation will be with the ships after the Taft-Hartley injunction expires is
anybody's guess!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA