Re: alfa-digest V8 #1229

In a message dated 10/16/2002 7:08:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes re: a LOTUS:

> In short, it was a good car that appealed to no one.  Function just
> isn't enough, something far too many engineers who try to sell things
> have never learned.

Just as I've been saying too long, too many times, around here.  I don't know
about the rest of the globe, but here in the US of A, you have to actively
SELL the damn things; they are not going to move in numbers only because of
their (secret?) superiority.  And for those who say they don't want what
everyone else drives, desire exclusivity, well: the ad space and time is
actually LESS money the more you buy, so ipso facto a car that sells in small
numbers is going to be in one of two camps: it is going to be from a company
that tanks, such as Alfa, or one that does well but sells exclusivity at a
major premium, such as Ferrari.

Just this morning read an interesting article about the USA reintro of the
Nissan Z car.  Before they went on sale at all, they already had 7800
confirmed orders!!  This was partly because of the brand awareness issue
(though this model hadn't sold in I think 6 years) but largely because they
started massive media-based advertising a full year prior to the time they
went on sale.  I used to work with these people and while they certainly
weren't idiots, they were not in the running for a Nobel Prize either.

A fine car may be a fine car but a successful product has to be sold and
supported or no dice.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA