Importing into USA/California

Hi,

I'm thinking of trying to import my 1974 Alfa to California from Europe. I know of the various exemptions at the federal/EPA/DOT level for cars more than 25 years old etc, and I believe the US Customs will therefore let the car through the port gates after I've posted a bond for 3 x the value. No doubt I will have to get the car through smog. But what I'm looking for is somebody who has actually been through the entire process and registered the car (hopefully in California) and had this bond released. The criteria for releasing it are only described very vaguely on the various websites. I need to pick the brains of someone who's been there and done that.  Or alternatively, someone who knows that it's impossible.

Thanks,

Richard Lane