Re: V6 mechanical tensioner

This has been thoroughly hashed out on the gtv6.org forums. I believe the concensus is that in the last few years a batch of tensioners with very poor quality control made it into the distribution system.

I don't believe the number and widespread nature of the failures can be attributed only to ham-handed mechanics not reading/following TSBs.

The only way to know if you have a good one, is to install it and see how long it lasts... not very reassuring. I'm not going to QA them in my cars.

--Mark
1991 164S
1988 Milano Verde

rogerlaf wrote:

I ran a 164L for 6 years and 100K miles with a mechanical
TB tensioner and I performed the hydraulic to mechanical tensioner conversion on a 3.0 Milano I owned prior to the 164L without any problems.

Are we setting the pointers on these mechanical tensioners using the CORRECT PROCEDURE AND TORQUE SETTING? I did and never had a problem.