RE: belt tightening

>>. how is tightening the 164 compressor belt suggested in the absence
of the special tools?

Yes, tightening the serpentine belt is now a piece of cake. I use a
spring compressor from Harbor Freight Tools to pull the tension bearing
to the crankshaft nut. This is Harbor Freight item 3980-0VGA, $9.99. Two
prongs from the spring compressor sit on a small block of wood on top of
the bearing, while the single prong pulls against a flat of the
crankshaft nut. Loosen the nuts holding the tension bearing. Simply
rotate the engine until one side of the crankshaft nut is perpendicular
to the tension bearing. Tighten the spring compressor until the desired
belt tension is reached, tighten the nuts holding the tension bearing in
place and remove the spring compressor.

To really do this procedure correctly, one can go to their local parts
store and purchase a Gates Krikit tool for measuring the belt tension. I
special ordered my Krikit over the phone and picked it up at the parts
store the next day, about $15.

Regards,

Ken Stevenson     Dallas, TX

'95 Alfa Romeo 164LS