Re: Milano Verde shifter needs rebuild, short shift kit??

I'll second that... It's still probably a good idea to just get the whole kit from Alfa's Unlimited and replace everything in one go. But for a quick fix, check that bolt/nut/bushing. The bolt rides in a helical grooved bushing... when the grease works it's way out of these grooves the bushing siezes, and then the bolt starts wearing the bushing out of round.

Mine was pretty much shot by the time I got to it, the hole in the bushing was very out of round. So, I chucked the bushing in my lathe and bored it out to accept a larger diameter bolt. It made a dramatic difference.

--Mark

dsedon@domain.elided wrote:

i saw a coupla responses about an aftermarket kit, but if all ya wanna do is get rid of the rattle, get under the car, pull the heatshield off, that sets between the cat & the shifter, and tighten the nut/bolt/sleeve at the bottom of the gear shift lever, where it attaches to the 1st horizontal linkage.  get some good stiff grease on it, to help keep it from rattling.  if ya tighten it *too* much, shifting effort is adwersely affected.  plan on doing this every year or three...  ;~)