Spider & Duetto vs Miata

I've owned both and have been in Duetto's that were worked.  I have to tell you the Miata wins out is ALMOST every category.  The steering, suspension, chassis, heating/cooling system and engine are all better than the Alfa's.  But the Alfa wins in body design, interior space and design, and larger trunk.  For me if the Miata body was designed by an Italian it would of been the best selling car in the world.  The 1.6L Miata is much faster than the 2.0 Alfa, the chassis is much stiffer, the suspension is unbelieveable for stock.  Now the interior space, trunk space, top design and body design Alfa wins hand down!

Guys I love the Alfas as much as anyone here on the digest, but after driving the Miata I understand what technology has done for cars.  I really wish that when Alfa changed the spider in 1991 that they would of updated more than just the body and the interior (the steering was finally done right too).  The motor, suspension (especially the rear), chassis all needed to be updated.  Lets face it, it was technology from the 60's and to compete in the current market place, to sell the car at the same range as a Miata you have to be competitive with a Miata w/ 90's technology.  Drive a Miata than drive a Spider or Duetto only then you'll understand why people buy Miata's even if the Spider looks 10x better.  Stock for stock the Miata is just a different ball game.

Alan
88 Milano 3.0
91 Miata