Alfa, Lotus, Miata

I hope this will not be considered off topic, but since all things are connected, some comments.

I have a great deal of trouble accepting the Miata; this despite the fact that the Miata is fun, is based on the Elan, handles well, and is proving itself on race tracks. (How can one argue with a Spec Miata which does not require track tools race after race after race and wants to rev then shift at 7K forever?)

However - and this is where some commentary would be appreciated - I do not like them and would not own one unless given to me for free. (I'd sell it for another GTV) I find that I am much more enamored by the first generation RX-7. (not to mention the 3rd gen which my wife drives and is passionate about) I have to wonder how much of my feeling for the Miata is subjective and how much objective.

When we were first married, we did an absurd thing; we bought a used Elan S-2 for too much money and ate beans and used plastic for years to pay for it. I had no choice; the PO gave me a ride around the block. We had to have it.

Simply, we fell utterly in love every single time we drove it. Janice commuted 100 miles per day to work in the Lotus. To this day she finds no car to be as enticing and wonderful to drive as the Lotus. We never had electrical problems. The water pump was delicate and required normal humans to remove the head to replace; I never did this. Lest I miscommunicate : we are nuts about the Duetto and beside ourselves with enthusiasm about our 750F and GTV. We race the Duetto but would accept another for the street in a heart beat. But that Lotus ................... Chapman's genius was everywhere on the car. IMHO, the S-2 is the prettiest of the Elans.

We are now nearly ready to launch our second Elan S-2 on the road and track. Our first burned in an inexplicable fire coming back from a Brooks Stevens car show in the late 80s. Oh, did that hurt. Out of desperation - we were so depressed and despairing - we found and purchased - for much too much money - the second S-2. It is set up as a 26R - racer - and will surely be sensational when finished. The fellow who is detailing the finish of the car is a retired Lotus guru who - GET THIS - owns 3 of Jimmy Clark's race cars.

Contrary to what I read earlier in this forum, the Elan weighs 1350 LBS. Best recalled best time was 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. 105 HP. Because of the rubber donuts in the rear suspension, few people could drive the car well without experience and touch. One could easily, if not finessed, allow the donuts to wind up, release, wind up release, wind up .......................

Do you think any of this has an influence on my Miata attitude?

I want to like the Miata; my brother races one. However, ............. maybe too many woman have have expressed in my presence a draw to a kind of "cuteness" factor which has also prejudiced me.

Thanks for listening.

Alfa Romeo forever!

David

Thanks for listening,