Flywheels

In a message dated 10/12/2002 1:09:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:41:30 -0400
> From: C2slayman@domain.elided
> Subject: RE:  Flywheels
>
> >Date:  -0700
> >From: "Obie Fayth" <bibendum59@domain.elided>
> >Subject: Flywheels
>
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:21:23, Obie Fayth" <bibendum59@domain.elided> writes:
>
> >Here's a couple of seemingly unrelated questions about flywheels I have
> been
> >wondering about. Anyone know the answers?
> >
> >1.  How does the flywheel sensor on bosch injected spiders work? Are there
> >notches/teeth/magnets in the flywheel?
>
>     The Bosch L-Jet has two identical inductive pickup sensors on the
> bellhousing.  One reads a trigger pin for TDC.  The other reads the teeth
> off the flywheel for engine rpm.

       Wrong.  Both bellhousing sensors read the magnetic trigger pin on the
flywheel.  Look at the alignment of the sensors for proof.  Both are aligned
with the pin, neither is aligned with the flywheel ring gear.
       For what it is worth, both sensors are identical and interchangeable.
The only difference is the color of the plug to the wiring loom of the car
and the position of the corresponding sensor.
       The Motronic sensors were moved to the harmonic balancer / crankshaft
pulley.  I have not worked on either of my 91 spiders as much as my earlier
spiders, but I am quite sure they do not count the teeth.  I am not sure if
there is a magnetic trigger on the pulley or if the sensor detects the
missing teeth on the pulley.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City