Re: Spider radio antennas

Douglas Kunzman asked:
I am back to regularly reading the digest after a break when
> I chagned ISP and started graduate school.  I was planning on
> fixing the two radio antenna's on my 84 Alfa spider this weekend
> were they connect to the windshield antenna.  Does anyone successfully
> repaired them.  I have searched the digest archive and could not find
> anything.
> I have noticed the kits to repair the window heaters, will they work ?

I had the same problem on my '86 Spider. After griping all summer about poor
radio reception, I bought a window heater repair kit. It works fine, but you
have to make up a template to get the width of the new antenna line right.
Apply a strip of one inch masking tape to a sheet of glass. Cut a 1
millimeter strip out of the center of the tape lengthwise with a scalpel and
a ruler, and apply a piece of 1/2 inch masking tape to the center of the one
inch tape. When this is applied to the windshield and the 1/2 inch tape is
pulled away, it leaves two pieces of tape on the windshield, a millimeter
apart. The conductive paint is then applied and allowed to dry. When the tape
is removed, antenna line looks original. Rough up the ends of the existing
conductive strip on the windshield with OOOO steel wool before applying the
paint and check for conductivity after it dries.
The windshield antenna is re-attached to the coax that leads to the radio
with silver-filled conductive two-part epoxy. (McMaster Carr, Dayton NJ;
732-329-3200; part# 7661 A11; 2.5 gm for $15.00 plus shipping)
Dick