Re: Miata/Alfa Spider

In a message dated 10/12/2002 1:09:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> By the way, even though I've not driven a recent Miata, the original
> one was certainly no real competition for an Alfa Spider in my eyes.
> Like most Japanese cars, it was designed by the numbers by engineers
> who take the train to work,

One of the major car mags, in the mid 90's, did a comparison of 5 (if my
fading memory still serves me) current "sportscars" which included the Miata
and the then current Spider.  By just about every measure imagineable the
Alfa came in dead last...its age was definately showing and suffering by
comparison.

It was widely reported at the time that Mazda bought several Lotus Elans,
shiped them to Japan, and disassembled and reverse engineered, and these were
the basis for the original Miata.  Whatever they did they kicked Alfa butt in
the market place.  It was much closer to a real drivers car than the aging
Alfa.

Besides keeping the old alfa spi9der well beyond its useful life, I also
believe that FIAT wasted alot of money and resources in their abortive Indy
500 effort....especially after the failure of Porsche.  That was not their
real market niche and if the money had gone into a new product, improved
reliability and build qualitym, with a marketing effort in the right places
they may have been able to stay the course, or even prospered.  Just alot of
bad decisions and lack of knowledge of the North American market.

Jerry in Houston