By the way, even though I've not driven a recent Miata, the original one was certainly no real competition for an Alfa Spider in my eyes. Like most Japanese cars, it was designed by the numbers by engineers who take the train to work, and therefore there was something left out. That "something" is, in my humble estimation, the passion that makes all of us rabid Alfisti.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Friday, October 11, 2002, at 06:04 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:48:49 -0400
From: ALFAXTC@domain.elided
Subject: Timing belts

Joe,

The Miata is not that bad. I just bought one myself and drive 20x better than any Spider I've ever driven. They seriously improved on it and made a better mouse trap (Spiders, MGs). This is the way Spider should of been when they changed the body in 91. Update the suspension! I bet Alfa would still be around if they updated the suspension to compete with the Miata.

Anyway I had the Miata belt changed and it only took the mechanic about 45 mins to do it. Now on my friend's Audi 90, you need to remove the radiator, grill and to make it real easy unbolt the front bumper too!

Alan
88 Milano 3.0
91 Miata