Re: lead or no?

    No doubt, lead was important in several respects. A little bit of lead
acts in the manner of an octane booster. But most imortantly, it serves to
help transfer heat energy from the valve to the valve seat as it aids in
physical contact of the surfaces. Each time the valve closes, heat is
transferred from valve to seat so with lead, less heat energy is stored in
the valve. And heat is the reason so much work was done to determine the
right material from which to make valves and valve seats. I dont know about
lubrication from lead, I suspect it does provide some as gasoline is a poor
lubricant, but the other factors it provided were important with old
metalurgy. There is less valve failure with leaded fuel.
    randy