lead or no?

In a message dated 10/9/2002 2:51:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> What is the best gas to use for my '73 gtv?  Is unleaded fuel ok for a car
> that was manufactured in the times of leaded fuel?  Are there additives
> which
> would prolong the condition and life of the engine?

Of course, here in CA we don't have leaded fuel.

But, I was lucky because my old 71 Spider came with the original owner's
manual, which plainly said it didn't matter whether the fuel was leaded or
not, as long as it achieved the right octane value (< a different discussion,
perhaps).

Cars with a cat need to avoid lead because it kills the kitten, but prior to
that it doesn't matter if you find a leaded fuel or not.

I also think the concept that the lead is needed to lubricate the valve
lifters, etc. is an old-wives tale left over from the days when people had
old wives.

BTW, a juicy review of a new book about Detroit's SUV profiteering appeared
in last Sunday's NY Times Book Review for those interested in excoriating the
domestic industry.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA