Carbon build-up in the head & exhaust manifold

Sorry to show my ignorance, but I don't often work on modern '79 Alfa
engines.

While doing some other 'exterior' item work on a client's low mileage
since engine rebuild, discovered vast amounts of carbon, as in curled up
leafs of it, in the head's exhaust runners and also in the original 4
into 1 manifold.

What does the air pump Really do? Please, no long scientific answers.
I'd also be interested in knowing how much is lost in keeping it hooked
up permanently. He runs it without the air pump but leaves the purposely
plugged up rubber hose attached so it can be used on smog day.

It has an original round Alfa catalytic converter. Not sure if it is The
or an An original converter. I'd guess The.

He doesn't feel it is an oil burner so if not a plugged up converter or
lack of air pump (my guesses), any other suggestions? Yes, I'll check
ignition timing once back in the car. Cam timing is a smidgen off.

Timing chain is extremely tight. First Alfa engine I felt was too tight,
almost always the other way around.

Once again the Group is asked to analyze the internal workings of an
Alfa engine via the Internet.

You can do it!

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Please don''t feel compelled to add comments like 'Biba you're an idiot'
since the client is a member of our esteemed Digest and I know no one
would want to embarrass me. And pigs don't fly.