4-cylinder adapter

Russ Neely makes some nice comments about the Steck engine stand adapter
and am glad he pointed out I'm not selling them but include an email
link directly to Jim from my site.

When this all came up about a year or so ago, Russ sent me photos of his
twin adapter set-up. I imagine the engine might be slightly easier to
rotate.

I'll happily say Jim sent me my adapter gratis for working with him on
specs and offering to include the web page on my site (oops, just
remembered I didn't add a link on the Site Map - will fix that shortly).

I'm repeating myself a lot here, but my background for advocating the
mounting from one side only came from watching an Alfa friend rebuild
his engine mounted from one side only using a slightly crude (but quite
clever) adapter using the top metal portion of an Alfa engine mount. I
then somewhat permanently borrowed both the stand and adapter and on
about the 4th engine rebuild, the welds began breaking, I put a whole
bunch of tires under it, grabbed the hoist, and lowered it to the ground
(safely). I then had it thoroughly welded up for around $35 (minimum
charge and same as cost of Jim's adapter, less S & H).

Jim's adapter is easily twice as strong as this borrowed one, both by
design and considerably thicker / stronger materials used, along with
some incredible welds. It ain't gonna go nowhere.

As mentioned, it was designed around the 1000 # Harbor Freight engine
stand. I believe it'll fit the 2000# one also, but double check by going
to HF and removing the adapter that comes on the 1k# one and slipping it
onto the 2k # one. Pretty sure they're identical - meaning Jim's would
fit the 2k# one also.

Will admit it's a little scary at first to mount from only one side,
especially when the engine is 'fully loaded'. Jim satisfied himself
there was no distortion on the block by finding the crank turns freely
with fresh, oiled main bearings. The first engine I rebuilt with the
'old' one, I lowered the engine to the floor and spun the crank by hand
after installing new bearings, but of course, before hanging the rods /
pistons. There was no difference in ease of turning. Not terribly
scientific and glad Jim agrees with my findings.

Sorry this is so long, but want to add a few more comments. The nicest
things with the mounting by one side and assuming you both mount from
the exhaust side and have a Spica unit, you can now easily remove work
on the Spica with absolutely No interference and of course the clutch
assembly and flywheel.

For newbies, yes it works on both Spiders as well as 'Alfetta' engines
and all four flavors - 1300, 1600, 1750, and 2000.

Russ suggests getting two adapters and am sure Jim would be happy to
sell you as many as you want. The only concern I might have is should
there be an internal casting flaw in or around the engine mounting area
on the block. I assume they are pressure cast, that being the case, the
odds on that are virtually zip to nil. However, I always do a
preliminary cleaning of the engine with cleaning solvent and water while
it is still dangling from the portable engine hoist. I'd then check the
triangular casting around the three studs carefully before mounting.
Admittedly with mounting from both sides, it would be virtually
impossible for the block to break. Making up figures on the fly, I'd say
mounting from one side it would be 1 in 10,000 the block might break /
crack. With mounting from both mounting points, it should be 1 in
infinity.

Food for thought: Not sure about you but on engines which have a
transmission attached, I always pull them together. True, the head bolts
/ studs are considerably larger than the three 8 mm studs on one side of
the engine mounts. Also, there is obviously more stress on the casting
with the weight pulling from the side, as opposed to straight down. That
said, the lifting bracket is 1/8" thick and while they bend, have never
heard of one breaking. (Isn't it fun watching that engine and
transmission dangling directly over your fresh bodywork / paint as you
return them to their original resting place)?

Should you want a virtual 100% guarantee (but Not from Jim, Russ, nor
myself) get two Steck adapters and two HF 1k# stands and weld them
together. Possibly Russ might be willing to send you photos of his twin
system.

Thank you for your patience,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA