164 Cam seal repalcement

Richard,
I would recommend taking off the oil pump pulley to replace the water
pump. It just makes things easier. especially if you have an original
water pump on there. The aftermarket newer water pumps have a slightly
different casting that makes it easier to install and remove.
To remove the oil pump pulley, take your timing belt wrap it around the
pulley and clamp it to somehing so the pulley can no longer rotate. You
should then be able to break the bolt loose.
Cam seals: you will need to jack up the engine. Way up. I had to
disconnect exhaust, shifter linkages, both passenger side mounts... You
can then jack the engine way up and get that rear pulley off. It will be
tricky, but I managed to do it. You will be cursing.
I used Hylomar gasket sealant on the water pump. It does not evey cure
(stays soft) so you will not have stuff breaking off. Just a very, very
small touch of the stuff on the new gasket will help.

later,

Karl
'91 164L
'95 164Q