RE: 164 Advice Sought

Dan,

Your item no. 4 is almost certainly the engine mounts.  If the car has
anywhere near 100K miles on it, you might as well replace all three lower
mounts plus the bushings in the upper dogbone mount. The mounts are a bit
expensive (the set will cost around $300), but you can install them
yourself and besides eliminating your grinding noise they will make a huge
difference in the overall smoothness of the car.  I had the
pulley-eating-the-plastic-shield problem, and also had the left side drive
axle flange grinding against the subframe on hard right turns.

Regards,

--- Peter Westafer
--- pwestafer@domain.elided