Re: 164 Advice Sought - Also

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Westafer" <pwestafer@domain.elided>
To: <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 10:44 PM
Subject: RE: 164 Advice Sought

> Dan,
>
> Your item no. 4 is almost certainly the engine mounts.  If the car has
> anywhere near 100K miles on it, you might as well replace all three lower
> mounts plus the bushings in the upper dogbone mount. The mounts are a bit
> expensive (the set will cost around $300), but you can install them
> yourself and besides eliminating your grinding noise they will make a huge
> difference in the overall smoothness of the car.  I had the
> pulley-eating-the-plastic-shield problem, and also had the left side drive
> axle flange grinding against the subframe on hard right turns.
>
> Regards,
>
> --- Peter Westafer
> --- pwestafer@domain.elided
>

> > 4.  Grinding Noise.  I live on a hill that has a few hairpin turns.  On
> the
>
> > right turns, I frequently hear a grinding noise, not a knock.  I thought
> it
>
> > might be the new steering rack settling in, but when I looked in the
right

> > front wheel well I saw part of a pulley had broken through the plastic
>
> > shielding protecting the engine.  The plastic valance may be a bit
> deformed.
>
> > Any suggestions on what to do?
>
> --

Peter, Dan,

Replacing the motor mounts, especially the passenger side is not a job for
the new 164 owner if you are not pretty handle, patient, resourceful with a
wrench.  Top side, the dog bone mounts have to be pressed in (and the old
pressed out) which again is not a job for the beginner or the driveway.
Just a note of caution.

Of the three lower mounts (one on the transmission side and two on the
passenger side) the passenger front is rediculously expensive at about $185.
IAP sells the other two for around $40.  The top bits are relatively
inexpensive too.  Check the old 164 archive for help on the R/R.  Also, on
how to be sure your mounts are bad before you shell out the dollar$$$.

Don